Kelburn Castle Buildings
There is no written record of when Kelburn Castle was first built, but it is thought to be around 1200.
The original Norman Keep was added to in 1581 and the new castle and old castle so skilfully joined and re-roofed that the two periods are now difficult to distinguish from the outside.
In 1700, the 1st Earl doubled the size of the building by adding a William-and-Mary style mansion house onto the Castle at a slight angle, built to the Earl's instructions by the well known mason, Thomson Caldwell.
The Victorian Wing was built in 1879-80, possibly by Alexander Crum, M.P. for Renfrew, who rented Kelburn from 1875 to 1886 from the 6th Earl of Glasgow, who spent most of his time in one of his other Scottish homes.
Note: The castle is still the private home of Earl of Glasgow and his family. Due to this, the castle is only open for tours during July, August and the 1st week of Spetember. During this time the tours take place at 2pm every day. Prebooking for the tours is recommended.
The Centre Buildings
The Centre Buildings were built in 1700 as the Home Farm. They were once home to farm animals as well as the community of estate and domestic workers who lived in the cottages. The farm buildings were in active use up until the First World Ware. Now the sawmill is the only part that has retained its original function. In 1977, the buildings were converted into an information office, a cafe, a shop, an exhibition room, two houses and a flat.
The 7th Earl of Glasgow was appointed Governor of New Zealand in 1892. The museum at the end of the duckpond was built in 1898 to house his New Zealand collections. Some of these articles can still be seen in the museum as part of a display there.
Note: The museum is currently closed for renovation. We apologise for the inconvinience this might cause.