Jobs at Kelburn
Thank you for your interest in working for Kelburn! We currently have the following vacancies available.
Job Title: Head Ranger
Location: Kelburn Country Centre, Fairlie, near Largs, North Ayrshire
Full-time for a five day week 9am-6pm
Kelburn is an outstanding countryside resource but the majority of visitors tend to remain around the Country Centre. Your enthusiasm for the countryside will help encourage visitors to explore the Kelburn Glen woodlands and your events programme will promote the natural and cultural heritage of this historic estate. We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic team leader with excellent practical and organisational skills.
A key aspect of this post involves coordinating a volunteer training programme and a small team of residential volunteers.
- To liaise directly with the Estate, Centre and Office managers in assisting with all aspects of country centre and estate management.
- To ensure responsibility for the control and supervision of groups and school parties visiting Kelburn and ensuring that they are properly cared for and have access to all the advertised facilities.
- To ensure correct procedures are carried out regarding accidents to staff/clients and appropriate accident forms filled in according to Health & Safety guidelines.
- To ensure all parts of the Kelburn Country Centre are accessible to the public and are responsible for maintaining paths, step seats, bridges, waste bins, signs and signposts, wooden fences, toilets, car parks, exhibitions and information boards, to which the public have access, including toilet blocks, pavilions, pets corner and exhibition rooms.
- Assisting with Grant Funding applications and submitting reports when necessary
- Meeting & greeting /information and advice.
- Jointly creating and managing a ranger specific events programme, flyers and leaflets.
- Supervising seasonal rangers and volunteers, including delivering training and education workshops
- Developing and delivering an education service from mid may to end June.
- Being responsible for the presentation of facilities / exhibition areas.
- Supporting daily routine operations, Litter / loos / etc .
- Monitoring safety of facilities adventure play areas etc.
- Working with the estate team when / if the centre is quiet.
- Assisting with countryside management efforts towards drawing up a forest management plan.
1. A good team player with the ability to promote joint team working
2. Flexible management style
3. Self- motivated, organised and results orientated
4. Able to demonstrate personal confidence in a managerial role
5. Ability to motivate, inspire and empower staff
6. Qualification in Countryside Management / Recreation or equivalent or substantial experience in a relevant subject
1. Relevant and practical experience in countryside management including access & recreation management.
2. Demonstrable experience of managing and coordinating staff and volunteers.
3. Relevant NPT Certificates; particularly chainsaw are desirable.
4. Previous experience planning and delivering an events programme highly desirable.
5. Previous experience dealing with Scottish Natural Heritage funding schemes and reporting a plus.
1. Current Driving License
2. Subject to occupational health approval, is able to meet the physical demands of the post.
3. A commitment to and enthusiasm for developing ranger services at Kelburn.
4. Willingness to work regular evenings, weekends, and public holidays if required.
Please send your C.V. to Jared Bowers (job title in subject line) at firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate all applications but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more conservation jobs, visit: http://www.environmentjob.co.uk